• Find+Book
    Choose a date
    Choose a date

    Advanced search

    close
  • Event calendar

    Please select a date:

    close
  • GaPa Tour planner

    Loading Site. Please wait...

  • GaPa Shop

    Loading Site. Please wait...

  • Shortlist

    Loading Site. Please wait...

Havens of Peace and Contemplation

There are many older churches in and around Garmisch-Partenkirchen which are well worth a visit. Despite very eventful histories in some cases, these buildings remain havens of calm and peace.

St. Sebastian for example – which stands solid as a rock, urging visitors to contemplation and repentance. This becomes clear the moment you enter the church. The light, subdued by nearby trees; the coolness which surrounds you; the silence, which emanates from the thick, stone walls – all of this together creates an overwhelming sense of calm. The erstwhile plague cemetery which lies adjacent to the church and which also belongs to the chapel, takes the visitor back to tragic and thankfully long past times.

The St. Martin's Parish Church (Marienplatz) is located in the centre of Garmisch, and was built by the famous master builder and stucco-artist from Wessobrunn, Josef Schmutzer. The superb frescoes are the work of Matthäus Günther. The impressive life-size statues of the Apostles, Peter and Paul were created by well-known sculptor, Anton Sturm, from Füssen.

The oldest parish church in the area, the "Old Church" in Garmisch has had an eventful history. The 7 metre high statue of St. Christopher, which dates back to the year 1330, is worth seeing here, also the Baroque high-altar and the choir windows, which feature Gothic stained glass from ca. 1400.
The Maria Himmelfahrt (Assumption Day) Parish Church was sanctified by the archbishop of Munich and Freising in September of 1871. The floor plan of this three-naved, neo-Gothic building with its Gothic winged altar is almost square. 14 stone steps lead up to the main entrance, which is set at right angles to Ludwigstraße.


The pilgrimage church St. Anton is 10 minutes on foot above Partenkirchen. The church's onion dome is visible from far and wide. The fresco in the dome, which is the work of Johann Evangelist Holzer, is one of the most beautiful in the whole of Germany. The building, which exhibits some elements of the late baroque period, is predominantly rococo.

There's even a church at the summit of the Zugspitze. The Maria Heimsuchung (Visitaion) Chapel) received papal blessing in 1981, when the building was sanctified by the then archbishop, Cardinal Josef Ratzinger.